Plantbased Blackeyed Peas in Tomato Sauce Recipe
I’m lucky that my mother in law is an amazing cook. I’ve learned many new recipes from her. One of my favorites is her black eyed peas in tomato sauce. They are to die for. I ate the leftovers on and off for a week straight.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Passive Time: 40 minutes
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups onion, chopped white or yellow
- 1/2 pound blackeyed peas or substitute 2 cans, drained and rinsed
- 3 pounds tomatoes, peeled, diced or substitute cans of chopped tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, mashed in a mortar or chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions or parsley or celery
- 1/4 cup tomato paste optional if the tomatoes are not flavorful enough
- Soak the peas in plenty of water overnight. Drain and set aside while you stew the onions and tomatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven. Panfry the onions till translucent and add the garlic last. Add the tomatoes and stew, covering the pan and lowering the heat, for about 15 minutes. Add the peas and an extra 2 cups of water and simmer gently about 45 minutes. Uncover and season to taste. If necessary, add the tomato paste halfway through the cooking for extra tomato flavor. Serve at room temperature with extra olive oil and pita bread.
Post your food pictures on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and tag @Healthy.Selfie to be featured on our page.
Looking for Los Angeles Top Nutritionist? call (844) 314-1432 or by email Christine@HealthySelfie.com. This is a chance for us to get to know each other. We will evaluate your needs and goals, while I will guide you on the right track. I can work one-on-one in person, by phone or video chat for out-of-area clients.BOOK AN APPOINTMENT TODAY!