This is my mama’s famous spinach pie recipe that my boys would eat every day if they could.
If any of you have every cooked with your mom, you know that exact recipes are hard to come by. So here is the best I could do
Spinach Pies Recipe
- 2-3 bunches of fresh spinach- after you wash and chop it, sprinkle with salt in order to release water from the spinach.
- Then squeeze the spinach by hand to get rid of the excess water.
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- Add the following to taste: sumac (a spice used mostly in Middle Eastern cooking), lemon, and salt
- Make the dough ahead of time. My mom uses a modified version of a flour tortilla recipe by using oil instead of lard or shortening like the original recipe lists. Her version calls for 3 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup canola oil, 3/4 to 1 cup water.
- Assemble the spinach pies and lightly brush them with canola oil.
- Bake the assembled spinach pies at 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until they turn a golden brown.
Post your food pictures on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and tag @HealthySelfieByChristine to be featured on our page.
Looking for Los Angeles Top Nutritionist? call (844) 314-1432 or by email Christine@HealthySelfie.com. This is a chance for us to get to know each other. We will evaluate your needs and goals, while I will guide you on the right track. I can work one-on-one in person, by phone or video chat for out-of-area clients.BOOK AN APPOINTMENT TODAY!