VEGAN BBQ JACKFRUIT TACO WITH AVOCADO SLAW
I love discovering new meat alternative ingredients.
I tried a jackfruit “pulled pork” sandwich for the first time about ten years and finally decided to try making it myself.
Simple, 30 minute BBQ jackfruit sandwiches that will fool any meat lover! A crunchy, cool avocado slaw and roasted salted cashews add even more texture and flavor. The perfect vegan substitute for pulled pork.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: BBQ, Vegan
- 2 20-ounce cans young green jackfruit in water (NOT in syrup or brine)
- 1/4 cup BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp brown sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (ensure it’s vegan) + more for topping
- 2 cups shredded cabbage + carrots (Trader’s has a great cruciferous veg mix)
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 lemon or lime, juiced
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- (water to thin)
- 4-6 whole grain vegan buns (GF for gluten free eaters)
- 1/2 cup roasted salted cashews (or roast on your own – see notes*)
- Rinse, drain and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Chop off the center “core” portion of the fruit and discard. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp oil of choice and seasoned jackfruit. Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
- Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
- Remove lid and stir occasionally. TIP: For finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
- In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
- Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture (a tip I learned from Namely Marly!). Then remove from heat.
- Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!
- Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple days in the fridge, though best when fresh.
- Serving size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 431
- Fat: 13.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 65g
- Sugar: 17g
- Sodium: 1000mg
- Fiber: 15.7g
- Protein: 11.5g
Looking for Los Angeles Top Nutritionist? call (844) 314-1432 or by email Christine@HealthySelfie.com. This is a chance for us to get to know each other. We will evaluate your needs and goals, while I will guide you on the right track. I can work one-on-one in person, by phone or video chat for out-of-area clients.BOOK AN APPOINTMENT TODAY!