Moghli Vegan & Gluten Free Recipe
Moghli is a Lebanese rice pudding with anise, caraway, and cinnamon that is served to celebrate the birth of a new baby. The caraway is thought to assist the new mother in lactating and reduces bloating. My sister just had a baby boy so we made a batch of Moghli to offer guests when they come to visit my cute baby nephew Vincent. I am a proud auntie and my two boys are super excited about their new cousin 🙂
- 1 cup rice flour
- 8-10 cups of water (4 cups cold, then add the remaining 4-6 cups boiling water)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 2 tsp anise powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp ground caraway
Coconut powder or shredded coconut, sliced almonds, chopped pistachios/walnuts, and pine nuts. Some people add raisins too.
- In a pot, put the rice powder, anise, cinnamon, caraway, sugar with 4 cups of cold water. Stir until dissolved.
- Add another 4 cups of boiling water and continue to stir on med/high heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Stop stirring and allow the mixture to boil for another 2 minutes then turn off the heat.
- Pour into small serving cups and wait until the Moghli cools completely before placing the cups in the refrigerator.
- To serve, garnish with a layer of coconut powder, pine nuts, almonds, pistachios, and walnuts. Some people like to soak the pine nuts before using them.
For the first time, my mom followed my aunt’s advice to brown the anise and caraway until lightly smoked before adding the rest of the spices and water in order to deepen the flavor of the pudding. This made the pudding come out darker than usual. We had mixed reviews about it. I loved it this way, but my sister preferred the original recipe.
Post your food pictures on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and tag @Healthy.Selfie to be featured on our page.
Looking for Los Angeles Top Nutritionist? call (844) 314-1432 or by email Christine@HealthySelfie.com. This is a chance for us to get to know each other. We will evaluate your needs and goals, while I will guide you on the right track. I can work one-on-one in person, by phone or video chat for out-of-area clients.BOOK AN APPOINTMENT TODAY!